Thursday, March 20, 2008

Euro Pudding & Russian Dolls

Here's the deal, last night I was watching TV and I checked to see what was on IFC. I always check on there cause they usually have good movies on. So last night I check it out, and there was this french movie on called L'Auberge Espagnole (or Euro Pudding). To be honest, when I first started watching it I thought, "I'll just watch this till the one o'clock Sports Center comes on." Well, one o'clock came and went and I found myself not changing the channel. The movie was about this french student named Xavier, who goes to Barcelona to study for a year. While there, he ends up staying in an apartment with six other students. Who all speak a different language, as they are all from a different part of Europe.
A guy from Italy, an English girl, a guy from Denmark, a girl from Belgium, a guy from Germany and a Spanish girl. Even with all this, they still some how manage to work everything out. They all have there ups and downs, but they are always there to help each other out. Like when Xavier has to deal with leaving behind his girlfriend Martine (the beautiful Audrey Tautou).
Or when the group has to deal with Wendy's annoying brother William who decides to stay with them for a while. He's also responsible for one of the craziest and funniest moments in the movie. All in all it was a great film, and if you check it out, I'm sure you'll think it's great too.

The story doesn't end there. As soon as the movie was over, I went online to find out more about this movie. Turns out there's a somewhat sequel called Les Poupées Russes (or The Russian Dolls).
That's when I realized that was the movie coming on next. I found myself glued to the TV yet again. This one takes place five years later, with the whole group reuniting for William's wedding. William tells Xavier how he fell in love with a Russian girl, and his quest to be with her, even though they couldn't even communicate. On a train ride after the wedding, Xavier looks back at his life, disappointed by his carrier and his meaningless achievements. He wonders why he seems to ruin every relationship he's ever had. You follow along as he tells the story of what has happened to him these last five years. His job, his family, his love life, all of his rights and his many wrongs.
I was pleased to find out that this movie was just as great as the first. I don't want to say anymore for fear of ruining the movie. So on that note, go check out these two great films if you ever have the time. They're both available on Netflix, so you have no excuse lol. I think that's it, so I will see you guys later, until then.

No comments: